Due Date: 6/28
- 2000-word minimum/ 3000-word minimum (optional)
- 5 cited sources, at least 2 must be scholarly (from an academic journal or book
n.b. you have the option of producing something other than the traditional research essay (e.g. a video, a slidecast, or other multimedia project). Please send me an email describing what you’d like to do.
The purpose of this assignment is to investigate an matter of concern surrounding video games. I hope that our readings have already provided you with a wide range of possibilities: psychological, sociological, economic, aesthetic, political, and so on.
Here is a brief list of gaming journals from the University of Michigan that might get you started. Of course you should also consult our library databases. For example, a quick search at the library revealed over 1000 scholarly, full-text articles on World of Warcraft. Your challenge will be narrowing your search effectively as there is plenty of interdisciplinary research out there. Not surprisingly there is a lot of research out there on topics like video game violence and addiction. Most of the research focuses on the potential negative effects. However, there is also research on the business of gaming, the potential value of gaming in education, and the cultural study of gaming (for example, Game Studies).
I suggest the following approach.
- Do some brainstorming about the different questions we have discussed. Try to identify the ones that interest you the most.
- Review the works cited in the books we have read. Maybe there are some articles in there you’d like to explore further.
- Take a look at some of the resources that are out there, like those gaming journals. What kind of research do they do? What connects with your interests?
- Conduct some cursory, informal research on the web and in the library databases to see what you can find in your topic area.
- Once you find a one or two good articles, you might also check out their works cited pages.
- Overall I expect that you will read around a dozen articles. You won’t end up citing them all as some will turn out not to fit with your topic.
- Steps 1-6 will be the topic of your Games Research Blogging. You will post ten times on your research process (in addition to your regular participation, as stated in the syllabus).
From there I am guessing you have a good idea of how to proceed.